[kwlug-disc] Meeting with (not so new) MPs in KW region.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu May 5 16:06:56 EDT 2011

Russell McOrmond wrote, On 05/05/2011 11:58 AM:
>   Incumbent Conservative MPs have been returned in Kitchener -
> Conestoga, Kitchener - Waterloo and Kitchener Centre.   Unlike some of
> the folks in Quebec where there the bulk of the 108 rookie MPs are
> from, your MPs are settled and ready to get down to business.
.
.
.
>   We shouldn't make assumptions about what might happen when
> parliament returns and just wait.   I believe it would be a good guess
> to say that a bill will be tabled in the fall and that it will be
> based on C-32, but there is no reason to believe it will be identical
> or that the Conservatives can't be convinced to table an improved bill
> right away.

I think this idea, unfortunately, will be very true in many areas and
bills. The Conservatives no longer having to pander in any way to any
other party. Things like gun registry and crime legislation, despite
being demonstratively shown to not make sense, to not achieve the
desired goal, or to not be what the majority of Canadians want, will
go ahead without regard to other voices - be they parliamentarians, or
citizenry. e.g. Crime legislation when the crime rate is steadily
going down. It will be interesting, for example, to see if anything is
done vis a vis the Senate, since stacking the Senate.

I suspect many bills will be reintroduced in their earlier, harsher,
incarnations. Soon. And pass quickly.

I'll be glad to be shown wrong.