[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 11.04 (aka The Natty Narwhal) and LAMP

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun May 1 12:22:31 EDT 2011

In general, take all internet tutorials with a grain of salt.

One of the real problems with Linux / internet documentation is
discerning what's current and accurate and appropriate for your
distribution.

For example, your tutorial (as I have recently discovered is true for
zoneminder as well), dates before the standard change in directory
usage, from, for example, /usr/share/phpmyadmin/ to /var/www/phpmyadmin/.

When looking at internet documentation, be VERY careful that you are
following apache2, not apache documentation. Quite a bit changed
there, and internet searches will reveal a LOT of material over the
aggravation. Especially - newcomers being trapped by getting apache
(apache2) from the repository, then trying to follow apache
documentation, and ... it goes downhill from there.

In general, search the buntu wiki / documentation / forums first. It
will be far more authoritative for distribution specific instructions,
than the internet in general. I believe there are LAMP tutorials in there.

For your immediate problem, and in general for the quickest response,
irc is your friend. The buntu channels, and most every other channel
I've ever seen, are well populated with helpful people. Including,
when on non-distro channels (assuming there is a LAMP channel
somewhere), being multi-distro aware, and able to help with buntu
specifics.

Which is one of the reasons to choose a buntu distribution, these days.

http://www.kubuntu.org/support
http://www.kubuntu.org/community
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/