[kwlug-disc] Asking questions of candidates during the election.

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:23:37 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM, L.D. Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com> wrote:
> What happened to write-ins?  Can't one just ask for a blank ballot on
> election day and pencil in any name?

  That is a US tradition.  It is my understanding (and would have to
do some research to verify) that such ballots are counted as being
spoiled in Canada.

Note:  There are many differences between Canada's democratic system
and the one used in the USA, and not just the ones that #CPC
candidates are confused about :-)

> I thought anyone can be a candidate.

  They can if they prove to Elections Canada (federally) or the
relevant body in other elections that they have the support of a
minimum of constituents to have their name put on the ballot.  They
have to have the nomination papers signed and sent into the returning
officer for their riding before a certain number of days before
election day (haven't looked it up this election).

Check out "Information for candidates" as a starting point if this
stuff is interesting...
http://elections.ca/content.aspx?section=ele&dir=41ge&document=index&lang=e#2

BTW: I highly recommend people get involved in the process.  Join and
participate with a smaller party, as you will learn things you won't
have as easier access to with a larger.

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
http://fix.billc32.ca/petition/ict/

 manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
 portable media player from my cold dead hands!"