[kwlug-disc] Parliament adjourned ... bills dead (again!)?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 31 01:46:12 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 01:45:34PM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 03:38:30AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> > There is also an aspect of elections which remind me of job
> > interviews, which are also manipulative (and yet which we seem to
> > accept as necessary in life).
>
> If you found out that a job applicant tried to trick you into hiring
> him, would you still hire him?

We do this all the time, no? Applicants who are upfront about their
strengths and weaknesses don't get job interviews. What's the first
advice everybody gets about answering the question "What is your
greatest weakness?" -- deflect.

> Maybe we should have a "fake debate" right here on the list, and try
> to find an optimum questioning strategy.
>
> I'll start (and I might lose!) :-)
>
> 	"Mr. Candidate, which is more important in your view: the rights
> 	of the artist, the rights of the recording corporation, or the
> 	rights of the consumer?  Or do you view them as all equal?"

"Thank you for your question. Balancing the rights of artists and
consumers is very important to our party, and it is our priority to
make sure that creators get paid while allowing businesses to innovate
and consumers to take advantage of our technological age."

(Also keep in mind that at least a few of our strong candidates are
"Ms Candidate", but I take the point.)

Here's a variation on the question: "The recent copyright bill has
demonstrated that the wishes of content creators, copyright holders
and consumers sometimes come into conflict. In such cases whose
interests should win out? Please give me an example to illustrate your
views."

Again, our job candidate will deflect, but maybe this would make the
answer more obviously a deflection.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org