[kwlug-disc] Dual monitor

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Wed Mar 23 18:41:01 EDT 2011

I tried to set up a dual monitor setup today, mandriva 2010.  It went
poorly.  my onboard monitor would start until grub, then it would jump
to the second monitor and the first monitor went black.  Then after a
short period of time the desktop would actually lock up, I had to hard
reboot.

I've tried a few different things, no luck.  Google reports people doing
things like compiling modules and stuff. Ugg.

Is there a generic sequence one would go through in a typical linux
distro to get a dual monitor setup running?  maybe just a config file I
need to edit manually or something?  Mandriva's hardware setup IS seeing
both monitors and video cards, it's just not giving me any ability to
specific how I want to use them.

g.