[kwlug-disc] Reliable Broadband speed test

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Fri Mar 4 14:51:05 EST 2011

ispgeeks.com has a speed test that exposes more of the underlying data from which speed estimates are typically derived, so I usually use theirs -- it gives me enough additional information that I can you usually get a bit better idea of how the line is actually performing.

The http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ also identifies lots of interesting potential issues that could be holding up the train on a given broadband link (including buffer-bloat).

Between those two tools, you can get a pretty good idea of the state of the nation.

Naturally, old habits die hard, and I've often typed http://speakeasy.net/speedtest too... :)

-Cedric

  Cedric Puddy, IS Director            cedric at thinkers.org
    PGP Key Available at:              http://www.thinkers.org/cedric