[kwlug-disc] Reliable Broadband speed test

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:44:24 EST 2011

Since bandwidth tests are so tricky, I use ping latency to guage how
well my internet is going. (Though it's better for telling me that one
of my roommates is hogging the line.) I've installed SmokePing[1] on
my desktop, so a quick look at the charts usually answers my
questions. I've got it configured to ping my gateway (ISP),
csclub.uwaterloo.ca (where I spent 90% of my time inside of an SSH
session, so I care very, very much about latency), and google.ca.

1 - http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/