[kwlug-disc] Roger's worse [Was: Acanac cable internet anyone?]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 27 18:45:53 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 06/27/2011 2:32 PM:
>

>> Actually, I am glad that you posted this info here, since I am considering
>> switching from Rogers, and evaluating alternatives.
>>
>> Rogers has become worse over the past 8-10 months or so.
>>

> Khalid: What have you been noticing / in what way has it become worse?
>
> Me, I'm noticing firefox getting slower and slower and slower, almost to
> the point it's unusable.

Yes, that is the main symptom that you notice. Frustrating isn't it?

I'd like to blame lower powered (speed) CPU, (not lack of memory,) number of
> tabs, or level of noscript blocking, but it no longer seems like it can only
> be that. (Besides, noscript takes out the calls to the blocked sites. I'm
> guessing it times out for 'bad things' it doesn't know about, but I don't
> see how I'm hitting more of those now, than before.)

None of that helps: I have NoScript, and memory at 60% usage only, so it has
be Rogers.

The other issue is that when on Facebook, you notice a lot of "Looking for
x.fbcdn.net" where "x" varies, but it takes many seconds, or even minutes
to resolve. Facebook seems to hit these CDNs a lot, and Rogers probably
has logic to throttle things that have too many requests.

On a satellite connection up north, which is dog slow, I don't see this slow
behavior on DNS lookups on the CDNs, so again, it has to be Rogers.

What you can do, if this is a laptop, is to put it on suspend, take it to a
Starbucks,
Williams Coffee, or McDonalds, and see if the behavior is the same, or
different.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.