[kwlug-disc] Acanac cable internet anyone?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jun 27 15:51:30 EDT 2011

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 06/27/2011 2:32 PM:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jason Locklin <locklin.jason at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 10:03 -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>>> Anyone have any experience / reasons not to go with Acanac?
>> I would have replied directly if the poster's email was listed, the
>> following is off topic and probably uninteresting for anyone not looking
>> for Internet service.

This is most definitely not offtopic, for kwlug. Everyone on the list
needs internet service from somewhere.

> Actually, I am glad that you posted this info here, since I am considering
> switching from Rogers, and evaluating alternatives.

Yes, almost always best to post public responses to public questions,
so all may share in the mutual knowledge.

> Rogers has become worse over the past 8-10 months or so.
>
> I am not sure exactly what it is, but there are signs of random throttling,
> and
> perhaps DNS issues as well (for example, browser says "Looking up X"
> mostly on some Facebook CDNs, all the time).
>
> So, looking for options in Waterloo, and seems as far as cable is concerned,
> Acanac is the best option?

There are a lot of complaints in the Acanac forums about performance
in K-W. You should go over there, cable forums, to see for yourself.
Such that I have ruled them out, but only for the moment.

	Apparently the impact of Rogers is being felt there, but not in the
same way as Roger's customers. Although there appears to be no traffic
shaping, Roger's appears to not be playing nice and rate limiting
Acanac customers - to 2 Mbps, on 15 Mbps service purchases. Apparently
they, and apparently in cooperation with other independents will, and
are, pursuing Roger's on this. I have no reason to believe there will
be a resolution any time soon.

	Acanac seems cheapest at $36.95, but it's no bargain if you don't
even get the speed you see on Roger's.

Distributel appears to be another CLEC cable player - I assume they
will have the same problems as Acanac above. While Acanac has forums
on both their own site and dslreports, neither seems to be true for
Distributel. $43.95/month, IIRC.

Which takes me back to TekSavvy (cable). Although I have confirmed
with them that they are subject to the same restrictions Roger's
customers are, dslreports seems well pleased with them. e.g. While
there are Acanac speed complaints in dslreports, there don't appear to
be corresponding TekSavvy complaints. (Acanac being a CLEC, TekSavvy a
Roger's wholesaler, IIUC.)

Despite equivalent to Roger's shaping, I am once again considering
TekSavvy, particularly given their reputation - including the very
positive opinions of them from this list. If I don't just put the
problem on the back burner again - giving Acanac, et al, time to sort
the problem out with Roger's. (Which I expect will end up going to the
CRTC, should the independent's somehow be able to come up with proof,
etc., etc.)

Personally, I'm just so tired of this nonsense - plug me in, let me
pay my fee, and leave me and my traffic alone. Including not having to
keep an eye on usage limits. From what I can see - never going to
happen. Apparently the need to fuss around is the norm - be it MLPP,
ssh / proxies, or VPN, and it isn't going to stop any time soon.