[kwlug-disc] (Offtopic) Acanac cable internet anyone?

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:02:30 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 10:03 -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> Anyone have any experience / reasons not to go with Acanac?

I would have replied directly if the poster's email was listed, the
following is off topic and probably uninteresting for anyone not looking
for Internet service.

I had Acanac DSL for 2 years, then Rogers Cable for 1 year, and now am
on Acanac Cable since May. Their tech support can be slow and is
primarily by email, but their web forums are helpful (the owners and
employees post there regularly). I've had excellent service from them,
and they hound Bell or Rogers for you if there is a last-mile issue. My
downlink is slower than Rogers for the same tier, and they have tried
calling me about troubleshooting, but I wasn't home and haven’t looked
into troubleshooting it yet. My uplink is rock solid at the 1Mb limit
all the time and I have no latency issues (~20ms to my UW computer and
Acanac's servers in Toronto). Their included online storage is handy,
but frustratingly restricted to unencrypted FTP. While on Rogers cable,
a single torrent would put me in some sort of "slow que" for hours. I
have not noticed that with Acanac, but I don't use torrents very often.
__
Jason