[kwlug-disc] FLOSS Fund nomination for next meeting

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Wed Jun 15 13:23:52 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-15 12:22, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> If John's nomination goes through and you don't like it, you are under
> no obligation to contribute. That's what makes the FLOSS Fund
> voluntary.
>
> If John's nomination does not go through, and you wish it did, there
> is nothing preventing you (or John, or whomever) from making a
> separate contribution.
Some random thoughts of another John. There are many worthy causes, some
far outside of the FLOSS community and some closer to home.

The FLOSS fund is, AFAIK,  ostensibly intended to help fund open source
development and is given to developers to reward, recognize and
encourage ongoing development. The recipients of these funds are free to
do what they wish the funds, whether to invest in equipment or pay the
rent or buy food to eat.

In this case, through reading the blog, the development of a FLOSS
project was halted or stayed because of the circumstances described in
the blog.
I doubt that this make this FLOSS project or the developers ineligible
for FLOSS fund donations.

While one might think of the nomination as being outside the scope of
the FLOSS fund, it appears to me, for the reasons given above, that the
developers qualify as being within the FLOSS community and therefore
eligible.

FWIW: Carl, my brother and 10 years younger than me, is a stroke
survivor and enjoys a, somewhat, comfortable existence in Niagara Falls
through the safety nets provided only 3 kilometers on this side of the
border. While stents and other invasive surgery were not options for
Carl, these would have been provided had they been necessary.

JohnJ