[kwlug-disc] Local ISP No Limits and No Usage Charges (Oksana Goertzen)

William Rieck william.rieck at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 13:08:55 EDT 2011

I have been measuring ISP connectivity in many downtown Kitchener locations
for comparison and preparation of switching an office over to Eyesurf.net

After running voip tests (Montreal location) from this site
http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php I can confirm they are some of the
best results I've seen yet, I.E. low jitter and no packet loss
http://myspeedmtl.netcelerate.net/myspeed/db/report?id=135098 with MOS of
4.1 and 4.2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_opinion_score

This office will start using the Eyesurf connection heavily this week for
voip calls, so I'll know soon enough how it goes. We can cancel within one
month if it doesn't meet our expectations, and the Rogers cable modem is
still sitting there "live" ready to switch back to if needed.

I've been questioning Randy (from Eyesurf), about the configuration of their
POTS line and how it can integrate with the rest of our (not Fibernetics)
VOIP lines. He has been great to work with. He has come back from
Fibernetics with solutions for my requested features. For example, offering
to set callerID on the POTS line to different number (DID), that was not
theirs! Also they can set the call forwarding to a VOIP number, on busy or
no answer, with no problems. This has been such a headache to set up
properly on POTS lines with other phone companies.

I hope the connection is stable over time, because I know many other offices
(downtown Kitchener) who would consider switching to Eyesurf as well.