[kwlug-disc] Dump skype on Monday night

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 8 01:50:15 EDT 2011

I suspect it may have nothing to do with the LOL-security.

IIRC, wi-fi does not (always?) act the way a hard-wired switch does.

I would be surprised if Paul put in restrictions between wi-fi
clients. [At time of configuration, it would be an easy expectation
that there would be times when clients would need to ssh or http in to
another computer for demo purposes.] I would also be surprised if he
has any ability to do so. (Between wi-fi and wired, yes, and either to
out, or from/in.) Any routers I've come across deal with the hard
ports or the wi-fi as a switch, wherein (a) no boundary is crossed and
thus no opportunity to apply a rule; (b) inter-port traffic is dealt
with at a hardware level - the software interface never even sees the
traffic.

It would be interesting to know if you were able to ssh or http one
another in that instance.

It would also be interesting to know if you had connected a cross-over
cable between the two of you if it all just worked.

Two sip clients should have been able to connect directly to each
other. Assuming calling correct ip / ports, and no local firewall /
iptables issues.

Did you happen to try (cough) if Skype worked?

gtalk?