[kwlug-disc] (Not Quite) Floss Fund Nominee.

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jul 30 23:24:40 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:24:43PM -0400, Colin K wrote:

> Seems interesting enough. Bring computers not brainwashing.  Anyways
> talk it out its my first nomination of any sort for this and its not
> a Floss one exactly but we've discussed over recent times that it
> seems our Lug seems to be evolving slightly.
> http://ihackcharities.org/

Boy. People are not making the nominations easy these days, are they?

I'm really excited that you are making a first-time nomination, and we
currently only have one nomination in the queue (with three more
nomination write-ups promised). And you are right that we have been
having discussions about what kind of organizations are suitable for
the FLOSS Fund.

But taking a quick look at this website it doesn't
look like they are that into FLOSS for their projects. If you look at

http://www.hackersforcharity.org/computer-training-center/

then you see they are offering mostly proprietary certifications for
their courses.

Looking at our past nominations here: http://kwlug.org/node/459
it looks like our nominees have all had something related to open
source -- either people working with FLOSS in some way, or donations
to political organizations working to protect the interests of FLOSS
legally. I am not sure we want to stray too far from that.

Given this, my vote would be that this group should not be a FLOSS
Fund nomination. But that is not a final judgement, and it would be
good to hear what others (including members of the shadowy
Cabal) think.

That is not to say that the Hackers for Charity charity is not a
worthy cause, or that people in general shouldn't donate to it.

In the meantime you could make an easier nomination! We could really
use some more nominations!

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org