[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Mon Jan 31 01:39:48 EST 2011

On 2011-01-30 20:15, Raul Suarez wrote:
> Think about your home network. Would you prefer having a modem in each computer
> connected to a switch that allows you to call from computer to computer? or have
> a router or switch for all of them? which one you think is less expensive?

I think unsolicited made some good points. Someone has to pay for the
infrastructure. And I don't mean to limit this to the 'last mile' or the
example of the 'home network' Raul mentioned. Think of the back end,
national level and international level trunking systems. These include
undersea cables and satellites. Sorry to toss in a lame analogy but
outside of Raul's home network is a network of neighbourhood streets.
These streets connect to arterial roads. Then to the local expressway.
And then to the 400 series highways. And so on. The trunking systems
providing digital reruns of "I Love Lucy" sort of follow that model.
Toss in demands for redundancy and reliability and you have an expensive
infrastructure. "Billions" as someone said.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Bell, Rogers, Telus or any of the other
carriers.
Disclosure: I did, many years ago, work for a manufacturer of telecom
equipment. Come to think of it, two.

Are we debating the basic idea of UBB or the implementation and cost of
the services, whether UBB or not?

BTW: For fun Google "151 Front Street Toronto carrier hotel" for a look
at infrastructure near the CN Tower communications centre.

Regards: JohnJ
PS: My apologies if this post is doubled. I did not see my copy come
back to me so I am trying again.

-----
No virus found in this message.