[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jan 30 21:27:01 EST 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:03:10 +0000, rbclemen at gmail.com wrote:
> This is, in my opinion, the root of the problem. The free market would
> solve this problem. If a service is to expensive, find an affordable
> alternative. The CRTC, which is controlled by a board of which 80% of
the
> members are former employees of either Rogers or Bell, has eliminated
> viable competitors on their behalf.

I don't believe you are correct. Or not directly.

The problem is the ownership of the copper of the last mile.

And the only way to get the free competition you're talking about is for
the government to take over the physical infrastructure of Bell. Not just
last miles, but the point of interconnect for those who wish to compete.
(It's the same problem with railways.) And we think taxes are too high now

I don't think many want that, although it makes sense. And is probably the
reason why Canarie never amounted to what I had hoped for it (internet
backbone in Canada public owned and controlled).

It's a nasty problem.

I have hear counter comments about the CRTC. Both that they don't feel
they're doing enough (but their hands are tied [through precedent?]), and
that they have no role to play any more. At least not in telephone or
internet.

CRTC