[kwlug-disc] KVM

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Jan 27 10:24:31 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:33, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>> I thought one of the selling points of KVM was to take advantage of
>>> the VTx extensions?
>>>
>>> Do you know what makes them slow? RAM? Hard disk contention?
>>
>> Try installing your current distro inside VM, and compare that with what
>> you remember when you installed it natively.  You'll give up, too.
>
> Probably the GUI is to blame?

You'll likely lose any accelerated graphics (often defaulting to VESA,
so you don't even get speedy 2D acceleration).

Apparently the new VirtualBox 4.0 release now has an accelerated
graphics driver for Linux clients. I've installed it to try out
Ubuntu's new 'Unity' interface, which apparently won't run in KVM or
Virtualbox 3.2.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>