[kwlug-disc] Parent Processes

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:05:24 EST 2011

That just leaves me with:

  1 search.pl

No PID.

My earlier way is working, even if it's a for loop.

for i in `pgrep laFind.pl`
do
#  echo "Looking at PID: $i"
  ppid=`grep 'PPid:' /proc/$i/status | cut -f2 -d":" | sed 's/[\t]//g'`
  if [ $ppid -eq 1 ]
      then
      echo "Found parent PID: $i"
      echo "Child PIDs:       `ps -o pid --ppid %i | sed s/[\n]/,/g`
  fi

Only issue I'm running into is removing newlines from a list and inserting a
comma.  I have searched a lot for this and I swear I've done it before with
sed:

sed 's/\n/,/g'

But it doesn't work.  Neither does \n\r, \r or using a $.  Using the $ just
sticks a comma at the end of each line.