[kwlug-disc] mythtv hardware

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Thu Jan 20 13:17:35 EST 2011

Are you capturing high def, component, svideo?

The easiest capture setup is analog channels. The Hauppauge PVR-350 works
well for that. It's easy becauase you just plug in cable and the cards can
tune itself.

Capturing digital channels has to be done through a through a cable box
(despite what you may read). It requires an IR blaster to change the channel
on the cable box.

Outputting high def can be tricky too. Its recommended to use a card like an
Nvidia that has a mpeg4 or h264 decoder. You'd have to use the proprietary
driver.æ