[kwlug-disc] ls -a, huh?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sat Jan 1 16:37:09 EST 2011

Hi Glenn,

Ls hangs in my experience are because of one of two things. First a
directory with lots of files could appear to hang because it has to collect
all the file names and sort them before displaying.

The other reason has been disk ore file system errors. The file system
problem happened mostly to SCO Unix.

Try this command:

find . -maxdepth 1 | less

And see what happens. Since find doesn't sort it should return immediately.