[kwlug-disc] Pizza shop software

Cedric Puddy cedric at thinkers.org
Thu Feb 24 11:32:19 EST 2011

My experience with using FLOSS accounting software from an unhealthy community was not great.  This was back in 2003 that I tried this last.

The community around the particular project was not completely dead, but it was overly dominated by _the_ core developer, who liked to keep others out of his sandbox.  We discovered that the system would spontaneously go out of balance, and that the proximate cause was insufficiently scrubbed database inputs which would cause some parts of a transaction to be recognised but not others.  Somehow this had to do with what web browser was used to access the software.

The developers "solution" was to shrug, tell us that it was our fault (still not clear how) (we had, I would note, purchased a support contract from him as well!), and tell us that all we had to do was manually search through a couple thousand lines of SELECT results to find the transaction that was triggering the problem.

Apparently an input sanitization bug that causes the accounting system to corrupt itself silently was not worthy of interest.  Hmmm....

We went back to having our account just keep the data in Simply Accounting.  We still use that particular FLOSS accounting software for generating invoices and emailing them out to clients (it did a fine job of that), but nothing else.

I think everyone could probably guess who I'm talking about, but it doesn't really matter what the project was -- knowing wouldn't save you from having to do your own evaluation of the community health and attitude, and by this point there's no shortage of rubbish on that particular project anyway :)

-Cedric