[kwlug-disc] Pizza shop software

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 24 01:04:09 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:25:42PM -0500, Chris Frey wrote:

> Is anyone aware of Open Source software projects that are geared toward
> running a pizza place?  Such as taking orders, running the website, and
> perhaps managing inventory?
>
> Generic stuff, I guess, but I'm sure that such software could be tuned
> for Pizza specific needs, and I'm a little surprised that nothing FLOSS
> shows up in Google.

I was not aware of such systems. You may have found these already, but
it looks like your two best bets might be L'ane, and PHPPointOfSale:

http://wiki.l-ane.net/wiki/Restaurant
http://www.phppointofsale.com/

I don't think either of these is a perfect fit, but the first link is
being used for pizza places.

There are lots of interesting stories in this space. There is one
company that boasts about the value of open source and then keeps the
code proprietary. There is another that releases the binaries for no
cost and then charges for source code. There are also a lot of
nearly-dead projects, of course.

Personally, I would never want to trust a business-critical system to
something that does not have a large user community and is not
frequently updated -- preferably by people who make their livings
doing the updating. For this reason I am not surprised that FLOSS does
not do so well in this space.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org