[kwlug-disc] floss fund nomination

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Feb 16 15:42:02 EST 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:29:06 -0500, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca>
wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 02:20:37PM -0500, Chris Bruner wrote:
>> I've just nominated LibreOffice. They currently have a challenge for
>> 50,000 euros in the next 33 days. I wonder if we could rearrange the
>> floss fund queue in order to accommodate them.
>
> This is just my opinion, but I think that sets a bad precedent.
> However, nothing stops KWLUG from raising money in a separate
> initiative for next month. I will put a mention in the meeting
> announcement.
>
> If many others feel strongly that we should bump the queue then we can
do
> so.

I understand the problem with precedent, so perhaps some mechanism for
dealing with such should be created.

I agree that nothing stops a separate effort. Nothing stops this effort,
either.

A problem here is timeliness - the mechanism arrived at must be able to
reach decision outside of a meeting. In this case, only the next meeting
falls within the required time lines. Deciding next meeting how to go about
such, to be effected at the next meeting after that, doesn't do it.

Perhaps as a procedure starting point, if all those ahead of the requester
agree to be bumped, then it should happen. It would be the requester's
responsibility to get such approvals and submit them to the Cabal such that
they take the approvals to be credible. What to do when someone is
unreachable, or balking unreasonably, let alone defining 'unreasonable', I
open to debate.

    I suggest as an override ... the cabal is authorized to do whatever it
deems appropriate - including bumping this month. (Which could get messy,
but given the amounts typically collected at a meeting, not overly
traumatic even if it gets messy.)

I feel we should bump the queue. (Without even looking at the queue.)

OpenOffice, as a global effort towards standardization, is too important
to continue to be tied to a proprietary vendor. Call it Sun, Oracle, or
whatever. It's a little disconcerting to start OpenOffice and see 'Oracle'
every time. Strangely, seeing Sun never bothered me, perhaps because I
associate Sun with Java, never having used it's non-free products.

Having said all this ... just how obstructing would it be if Germany
didn't happen until the month afterwards?