[kwlug-disc] Palm replacement? Android pad?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Feb 16 09:46:43 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 17:59, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> If you can make do with something the same size of a Pam, then a used
> unlocked Android phone should do the job.
>
> You can get them used off Kijiji. For example, a 4" Sony Ericsson Xperia
> X10
> is $275 or thereabouts. Some cost more ($400-500), others can be $150 to
> $200. I got the oldish G1 for a friend for just $125. It is not the most
> responsive
> device though.

Coincidently came across my feeds today:

"Samsung was showing off two new WiFi-only Android devices based on the
popular Galaxy S smartphone."

"not divulging pricing information at this time, though apparently
representatives suggested it would be "extremely competitive with the iPod
touch.""

Considering the iPod Touch runs about $250, this might be a feasible option
-- when it actually arrives.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/02/samsung-aims-for-ipod-touch-with-wifi-only-galaxy-s-variants.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

I've actually got an Android Tablet in the form of a Barnes & Noble "Nook
Color". They run about $250 in the US. It is probably not the target device
for the average user since to actually use it as a "real" android tablet it
must be either rooted or flashed. I actually just stock Android on mine
right from SD (Easier to backup and upgrade).

So far I've found using Android, even a community supported build, to be
much better than my Nokia n810. Still not as seamless as my old Palm Vx
(It's been ten years! seriously!), but it also does considerably more:
Email, Browsing, Movie theatre show times, Angry Birds....

That said, I still think Palm "has" it in the software space, though
different from the old PalmOS way. I wouldn't ditch my Pre for an android
phone, but I did find the screen just a little too small to try and organize
my calendar, etc. Their tablet might be worth a look, but I don't know when
or how much...

http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads/touchpad/index.html

--
Chris Irwin