[kwlug-disc] KWLUG and Voip

Kiwi Ssennyonjo kiwi at ssenn.com
Fri Feb 11 09:57:26 EST 2011

The secret I have discovered to make Voip not so daunting is planning, and
managing expectations.
Even for the phones in your home.

Ma BELL has been at this game for a long time, and no one delivers phones
service with the same reliability; it just works. When power is out, it just
works; when there is a flood, it just works.
We seek alternatives, because we now understand that delivering a call to
your home or business does not cost what we are charged.
Voip offers a lot of savings. You must determine if it is worth while to
switch.
Even if you start with hardware, a computer that is suitable for the system
you are putting together; there will will be additional hardware to
purchase.

When clients hire me to put in place a system; I have a list of
pre-requisites that they must meet.

I am accepting responsibility for all their communication needs, I am taking
over Bell's place; that bar is set pretty high.
pre-requisites
-internet access (bonded dsl or fibre)
  -for your home standard dsl service should be enough
-redundant power
-standard POTS line (commonly for the Alarm, FAX)

When the pre-requisites are met, we need to buy phones, poe switches and
ensure we have a firewall in place.

VOIP.MS service is great and they are cheaper than unlimitel; but I have
found unlimitel to have better quality.
Voip.ms has a lot of great features that completely do away with the need
for you to even install asterisk of freeswitch or whatever you favourite PBX
may be.

Purchase ip phones http://www.voipsupply.com/
Register directly to their service.
You can setup an office with the following common feature right from their
portal (hosted pbx like, at not additional cost to you)
-extensions
-call groups
-IVR
-voicemail
-manage e911

Now go and try it, this is the fastest way to get going with voip.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:08, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> Given how prominent VOIP is in the community, and it's general reliance on
> linux, does the group think my previous idea of the LUG promoting VOIP
> publicly to be a good idea?
>
> I'm wondering if the group put on a free 'voip Saturday' or something.  We
> find some space and corral some presenters and providers on
> home/business/tech voip.  Then do some promotion and see if it draws in the
> folks.  I know the lug has done some talks on this, but perhaps it makes
> sense to expand it a bit.
>
> Or are my dreams too big? :)
>
> g.
>

> On 11/02/11 09:01 AM, Colin Mackay wrote:
>
>> f hardware am I looking at if I want my Asterisk box to use all the
>> current analog phones in my home?
>> Anyone loca

Kiwi Ssennyonjo
http://www.ssenn.com