[kwlug-disc] voip questions

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 22:37:32 EST 2011

I'm not an expert. Actually I am noobie but I have been reading to make the jump
any time now. Here is what I know

1) I went to the web sites for unlimitel and voip.ms and both have a page where
you enter your phone number and it tells if it can be transfered from your
current provider. Both of my lines can be transferred.

2) If your cordless phone is not locked to a provider (e.g. Vonage) then you may
be able to use it.
If it does not work, you can buy an ATA (telephone adapter). I just bought the
PAP2T from Canada Computers. It supports two extensions in one box. To set it up
I entered 3 values: The server IP, the extension ID and the extension password.
The quality is almost standard phone like. You can also get an ATA to connect to
your existing phone wiring. (I don't know how many phones can be connected to a
single PAP2T, Some other people can give you better advise on that.

If you have an Android phone or iPhone you can also configure it as an extension
of your phone system. I've already configured both of my son's Androids and they
can call home through WiFi at university or through a 3G data connection, just
dialing an extension and once I get my lines, they will be able to call using
the home phone line from wherever they are and not use cell minutes.

 Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx