[kwlug-disc] voip questions

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Thu Feb 10 22:34:15 EST 2011

To move your existing number to voip you need to select an itsp that support 
number portability. Unlimitel provides that.

To connect you home phone wiring to an asterisk box, or an itsp if you don't 
have an asterisk box, you need an ATA, analog telephony adapter, one with an 
FXS port. Linksys and dlink are two manufacturers of those.

----- Original Message -----
From: kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org <kwlug-disc-bounces at kwlug.org>
To: KWLUG discussion <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
Sent: Thu Feb 10 22:00:17 2011
Subject: [kwlug-disc] voip questions

Given that it seems we have access to local (non KW) numbers with voip
now, I'd like to ask the experts two questions wrt to moving my home
phone from bell to voip.

1) should I be able to move my home phone number from Bell to a voip
provider, if the voip provider offers numbers in my town?
2) I've got a cordless voip phone that I've never been able to get
working.  So if that's not going to work what's the best way to merge my
existing analog home  phones throughout the house with my voip
computer?  Is there a magical box I can buy or something?


kwlug-disc mailing list
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org

More information about the kwlug-disc mailing list