[kwlug-disc] VoIP Question.

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 13:04:43 EST 2011

So.... I think I am slowly getting this VoIP thing.

I just have a question about a scenario..

Scenario: We have an employee who will be in Cosat Rica in a couple of weeks : permanently.

Requirements:

We want to give him a Cambridge number. Toronto if Cambridge can't be done.

We want him to be able to call POTS all over the world as cheap as possible, or unlimited plan of some sort if available.

We dont need him to interface with our current office phone system.

Questions:

I am wondering if he is in Costa Rica and I get say Unlimitel.
     - How would I fugure latency before purchase, I want to make sure he is going to have low ping speeds to the unlimitel server (Do they have them spread all over the globe?)?

Should I use a company in Costa Rica Instead of Unlimitel?
     - What should I be considering here how far to the Voip Provider server? How far is the call going on POST? What should be my deciding factors and parameters for choosing a provider?

Joseph Wennechuk