[kwlug-disc] Asterisk: SIP vs IAX

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 10:00:53 EST 2011

Thank you!

That answers my question. SIP it is.

You even answered questions I didn't even ask (but I should have)

I didn't consider that charges would apply If I peered the Mexican phone through Unlimitel, Thank you for setting me straight.

I've had a DynDNS for several years now, always working OK. I didn't think of one for the Android. I currently had the IP to "Dynamic" but I can see the advantage of DynDNS.

I've forwarded ports 10000 - 20000 and 5060 to my Asterisk server (Running barebones Debian 5)

I also thought about routing through VPN so no Asterisk ports would be open in the wild.
I'll check voip.ms when I get home. It is blacklisted at the office "voip telephony". I guess they should have a different domain for their web site than their SIP URL :)

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
Twitter: rarsamx