[kwlug-disc] Asterisk: SIP vs IAX

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Feb 4 09:34:15 EST 2011

SIP is almost always the best answer.  IAX is technically better, but I
find it often has glitches with maintaining registration.  It is
designed mainly as an Inter-Asterisk eXchange for joining servers
together, not for client-end equipment (though it has some advantages
for that too when (eg.) your ISP is not SIP-friendly).

www.voip.ms has Mexican numbers with servers in Toronto for $8.50/month.
This might be a better option for you.

If you have Asterisk at home, why don't you have your Mexican
number/trunk terminate there and then you can route calls as you wish-
even put in an IVR: "Press one for Raul, press two for grandson A ..."
Putting Mexican calls over Unlimitel will double your per-minute
charges.

Your Android should be able to connect to your home server if it has a
public IP.  Dyndns will help you to identify it if the IP is not static.
I also run a dyndns client on my Android so that the server can
whitelist traffic from the phone.  Ideally, when I get VPN running on my
phone, I hope to put VoIP and other traffic in the tunnel.  Not sure if
performance will be acceptable in that configuration.