[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

unsolicited at swiz.ca unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Feb 1 18:21:02 EST 2011

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 17:40:22 -0500, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>
wrote:
> I don't see the conflict between Bill C32 and UBB.  Downloading does not
> necessitate copyright infringement, no matter how much the Big Media
> collectives try to brainwash us into thinking that.

Right, but this (C32) appears to all be a perceptions / FUD / warmongering
game. Or, whomever gets the word out (to the public / lobbyists /
politicians / committees / whomever?), sets the ground upon which others
must battle, er, debate, you on. UBB, given the links, appears to also be
garnering this political opportunism FUD as well.

If UBB is bad, because of limited downloading, the question of downloading
what must come up. Which will lead into C32, probably.

Don't mean to disparage or diminish the legitimate and reasoned concerns
surrounding either UBB or C32, I'm merely commenting on the characteristics
of the discussions themselves, surrounding these issues.

- as soon as politicians become involved, or sound bites provided, the
message starts getting murky, and the extrapolations into more and more
surreal areas starts occurring.

Which I guess is merely to say ... if it was messy and confusing now ...
wait until more and more fingers get into the sound bites.