[kwlug-disc] UBB hold the phone

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:15:58 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Insurance Squared Inc.
<gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> "Aren't required to charge based on usage. They most certainly will because
> that's how their wholesaler is charging them, but it's not required."
>
> In other words, teksavvy doesn't HAVE to charge these additional fees.  They
> can, or not...

Please, *please* actually take the time to inform yourself instead of trusting
what other people say. The reason this CRTC ruling is frustrating for
Teksavvy customers is that they have no choice, this pricing change is
being forced on them:

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-44.htm
"In this decision, the Commission determines that usage-based billing
rates for an incumbent telephone carrier’s wholesale residential
Gateway Access Services or equivalent services ... are to be
established at a discount of 15 percent from the carrier’s comparable
usage-based billing rates for its retail Internet services."

Teksavvy and other resellers are given the same rates that Bell charge
their own customers, but at a 15% discount. Teksavvy cannot possibly,
by law, try and sell Internet for less.

As far as I can tell Teksavvy has done nothing shifty. (Which is why
I'm sad that I won't be giving them my money any more (maybe). :P)