[kwlug-disc] UBB Discussion, look at Cogeco

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Feb 1 13:54:26 EST 2011

I don't recall the monthly charges.  But I was an early adopter of Atria
in Kitchener, back before they were Atria.  I paid $10K to have them dig
up a street and haul fibre in.  bandwidth was hideous at the time.  In
fact, they quoted me 700G for a couple hundred IIRC.  But guess what,
700G?  that's not 700gigs.  That's 700GigaBITS.  Closer to 70gigs.  I
paid obscene overage charges.  Was unhappy with the quality of the
traffic.  And their policies and procedures were right out of a revenue
canada guideline book - not surprising for what is basically a gov't run
organization.

That's a less than flattering review.  Perhaps they've changed.

However - perhaps there is possibility yet.  I know there's actually an
Atria connection across the street from the gym in New Hamburg.  And the
building is actually owned by a local electrical company.  Perhaps they
could be convinced to put up a tower and start the process off.

FWIW, there's actually already 'free' wireless internet in downtown New
Hamburg.  For those that know the area, Focus Computers has a tower on
top of their building that covers the downtown. I think they give out
free wireless for an hour or two.