[kwlug-disc] UBB comes to Teksavvy

Eric Gerlach eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca
Tue Feb 1 13:19:27 EST 2011

First, thank you Darcy.  We need to remember that Bell was once a
subsidized carrier, and built their monopoly on public funds and
grants.  Rogers got a lot of grants too, but not as many as Bell.

Second, there are real reasons to need lots of bandwidth, beyond
access to Netflix, Youtube, MIT OpenCourseware, WoW, Steam, Linux
ISOs, etc.

For example, there are members of our Canadian Forces who use video
chat to stay in contact with their loved ones back home while on tour.
 That's going to use up most of a 25 Gb cap and take you into overage
quite quickly: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fbvje/good_bye_steam_i_hardly_knew_ye/c1es3ll

Cheers,

Eric