[kwlug-disc] Blackberry USB mode with Ubuntu?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Dec 9 19:36:02 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 07:28:02PM -0500, Charles M wrote:
> When I first plugged my Blackberry Bold into my Ubuntu notebook it used to
> pop up and ask if I wanted USB flash drive mode, synchronization mode or
> charging mode. It seems to have stopped this on its own accord and always
> selects charging mode now. Not sure how to kick it out of this, there
> doesn't appear to be an option on the BB Bold to switch to USB storage
> mode. Looked at some Berry tools and couldn't see how to reset it that way
> either, still defaults to charging mode. Anyone have any ideas what I'm
> missing?

It should always be in "charging mode" in the sense that you should be
able to charge it whether you're using it for USB Storage or not.

You can check this by running 'lsusb -v' and checking if the device
is using 500mA for power.

If you run that command, could you post the output for just the device?
For most devices, sync and storage modes should both be available by default.

You might also check your BlackBerry, and make sure you have Mass Storage
enabled.

- Chris