[kwlug-disc] CarrierIQ

Glenn Henshaw thraxisp4 at mac.com
Sat Dec 3 23:29:11 EST 2011

On 2011-12-03, at 8:36 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 08:12:45PM -0500, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>>
>> I think we all abstractly know we are being tracked, but this makes
>> the situation uncomfortably explicit, and brings some of the
>> implications of the new copyright and lawful access bills that are
>> finally becoming law.
>
> The example I was thinking of has to do with Carrier IQ's draconian
> Cease and Desist to Eckhart's investigations:
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/11/carrieriq-censor-research-baseless-legal-threat
>
> In addition to apologizing and redacting his DOCUMENTED RESEARCH,
> Carrier IQ was going after Eckhart for mirroring Carrier IQ training
> documents that he thought might be disappeared once the story got out.
> Sure enough, the documents were disappeared, but Carrier IQ went after
> Eckhart on the basis of copyright.

  In the end, the publicity will get them anyways. I believe that CarrierIQ, several phone manufacturers and several carriers have received letters from US senators. I suspect that they will be sent subpoenas to appear before senate committees and explain themselves.

--
Glenn Henshaw              Waterloo, Canada
Email: thraxisp4 at mac.com