[kwlug-disc] Google purchases Motorola (Mobile)?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 16 01:37:53 EDT 2011

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 08/15/2011 10:52 PM:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
.
.
.
> Not sure how all of this bodes for FOSS.
>
> Should be same as, or better, than with Motorola. I can't see it as being
> worse.

Unless Google locks down Android to Motorola only. (Presumably) Google
being the major source of development resources towards Android?

I was reminded again by a commercial on TV tonight - LG is also making
handsets.

It suddenly seems that there are a lot of handset hardware
manufacturers out there now.

This is a ramification of Android? No need to develop the software and
ecosystem for a handset when you can just run Android? [Sort of like
MS, from a hardware point of view - only need to develop drivers for
hardware as it emerges?][OS/Apps being a different division's problem?]