[kwlug-disc] "In the new Canada, the web browses you"

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Aug 12 18:12:17 EDT 2011

You're probably thinking of the Clipper Chip, back in the 90's.

There was a large backlash, and it didn't catch on.

The potential upcoming legislation doesn't pertain to encryption, as
far as I know.  They just want to be able to eavesdrop on your plaintext
internet traffic without a warrant.

How this is to be paid for, I'm not sure, but it sounds like they expect
ISPs to implement the data capture infrastructure.

Maybe this will renew a general interest in cryptography. :-)

- Chris