[kwlug-disc] USB key filesystem for backups

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 5 12:14:17 EDT 2011

I have a USB key that I have been using for backups. Basically I rsync
my hard drive to the key.

I played around with JFSS2 formatting and gave up. I did not want to
use FAT. So I ended up using ext3, which is bad because it will kill
my USB key sooner.

What should I use to format this key? How should I do it?

One place I got stuck with JFFS2 is that it seems to want to write its
filesystem to a file, and I could not get it to write to a partition.

This may be a theoretical discussion because I am using an old version
of Debian at home, and the kernel may not support the filesystem being
discussed. But knowing the right answer will help me understand where
I should go.

Help?

- Paul

--