[kwlug-disc] Bill C-32 and my visit to Peter Braids office

Darryl O'Neill ldoneill at golden.net
Wed Apr 27 21:38:07 EDT 2011

I visited the campaign office of Peter Braid this week.  I did not get a
chance to speak with Peter Braid directly but I did get to ask questions
from one of his staff.  Sorry I don't recall her name.  She seemed quite
knowledgeable about the campaign.

I started with a question about the long census and how the
Conservatives killed the long census to keep ordinary citizens from
being in violation of the law.  She could not answer how many Canadians
have ever been jailed for not filling out the census.

I then went to the fact that Bill C-32 would make it illegal for me to
watch a DVD that I had purchased on Linux or to transfer it onto my
iPhone or Playbook.  Why was the Conservative policy different on this
issue.  She did not know much about Linux but did understand the iPhone
and Playbook comparison.  She was familiar with Peter Braid's work on
the C-32 committee and with Michael Geist.  I agreed that bill C-32 was
important but I believed that the amendment from Michael Geist was
needed.  She seem to agree that it was unlikely that several people from
the same household would all be watching the same movie at the same time
on different devices.

The end answer was that there needed to be a balance between consumers
and business and that the issue was still very fluid.

 From what I have heard, Andrew Telegdi seems to be behind the
amendment, especially since it affects RIM.

Darryl