[kwlug-disc] Natty Release & Linux / WinXP coexist

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:40:43 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Natty is not based on Lenny or Squeeze. Ubuntu pulls its packages from
> the "unstable" tree of Debian, which is ever-changing (and has
> codename Sid). Squeeze is the closest analogue to Natty but it is not
> guaranteed to be very similar.

Yeah, if you want Debian Squeeze, get Squeeze.  Natty isn't Squeeze.

> As mentioned upthread, you might also consider the long-term release
> of Ubuntu, codenamed "Lucid Lynx". At this point it is not clear that
> there are big advantages to doing this, but the support length is
> about the same and at least people are aware of the bugs in Lucid.

The main advantage is it doesn't change and it gets security updates.
Also, Lucid was derived from Debian Testing (about a year and a half
ago) rather than Unstable.

Lots of people complain about how Ubuntu's six month release cycle
means things change all the time.  If you're the sort of person who
doesn't want to keep up with semi-annual releases, the LTS is for you.
 Also, there's always a possibility that an upgrade might fubar your
system.  If you worry about that sort of thing, the LTS is again a
good choice.

>> Conclusion: Ubuntu-Natty will bring in "the latest version of Debian
>> stable (squeeze)" and, as advised, should do the trick for me.
>
> As mentioned above, I am not sure I would agree with your conclusion.
> But if you are not averse to blowing away the distro if it does not
> work out for you, it's not a bad place to start.

I'd encourage everybody with any sort of interest to try out Natty.
But not because it's Squeeze.  Natty is Natty.  There are some big
differences from previous releases.  I think it's awesome, but I might
be biased.

Darcy.