[kwlug-disc] Natty Release & Linux / WinXP coexist

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Apr 25 10:57:49 EDT 2011

John Johnson wrote, On 04/25/2011 9:51 AM:
> On 2011-04-24 23:28, Steve Izma wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:42:28PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>>> ... I run ... Debian Etch ...
> < ... snip ... >
>> the latest version of Debian stable (squeeze) ....
> < ... snip ... >
>
> OK. The above prompted this guy, one who is not in the "know", to look
> some things up ...
>
> Briefly (and, maybe, inaccurate):

<snip>

Not pertinent.

> Conclusion: Ubuntu-Natty will bring in "the latest version of Debian
> stable (squeeze)" and, as advised, should do the trick for me.

Ubuntu is not Debian stable, and you don't want it. If you want
Debian, and you don't, you want at least testing, and perhaps
unstable. Debian stays too far behind the times such that it becomes
irritating. [If you had a few years of Linux under your belt, then
Debian can be a fine choice. But that's not where you're at at the
moment.]

If you want to drive yourself nuts, go latest Kubuntu, but I advise
against it, as will some others here. Each new release of K/ubuntu
brings sufficient leaps ahead that something is always broken, and it
is always VERY frustrating to the new user.

Since you're not running latest and greatest hardware, and you're not
looking for latest and greatest apps, don't worry about it. Go 10.04
lts and get on with your day.

 From a 'command-line' perspective, you won't notice any difference.
That part of the world is long time stable.

If you want to play with latest KDE, latest hardware, sound (in the
sense of it's still undergoing 'major' settling), then go L&G, but
that's not where you're at.

The above is my own personal opinion, tempered by long years on this
list, and very frustrating personal experience.

With only 512, you won't be doing anything fancy, or fast, with regard
to Gnome/KDE windows managers, or video, or <x>, so don't worry about
latest and greatest - it will buy you nothing you care about in this
instance.

Now ... if you want to run multiple-vm's, on dual-monitors, serving a
few thousand users on your new apache install for which your ISP
specifically prohibits, and spent ~$1k on a new machine ...