[kwlug-disc] Natty Release & Linux / WinXP coexist

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 23 12:42:28 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 08:30:35AM -0400, John Johnson wrote:

> Learning the new sysadm commands is one of the goals of the exercise.
> Somewhere on my list is LAMP (omitted from my earlier list).
> LAMP leads to experiments with setting up a web server and web hosting.
> And I realize that LAMP is where I may hit the wall with the diminutive
> 512 mb ram.

Embarrassing admission time: I run a window manager (not
GNOME/KDE/XFCE), Iceweasel and the LAMP stack at home on a machine
with 384MB RAM. It is running Debian Etch, I think. It is my main
machine. It is not snappy for web development but I have done some web
development on it.  In my experience the LAMP stack is much more
lightweight than the web browser and desktop environment, especially
if you are using this box for development (as opposed to production).

I am not advocating that you do this. Given the RAM specs that you
posted getting your machine up to 768MB should be trivial (we have
lots of 128MB sticks of RAM, and I can bring some to the release party
if I remember).

We could have flamewars about whether this is enough for a beginning
Linux user on a modern distro. I think it is feasible as a starting
setup as long as you keep your expectations low.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org
All-candidates meetings: http://www.wonderfulwaterloo.com/calendar.php?c=12