[kwlug-disc] Unique VM Installation

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 8 16:05:19 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 01:41:10PM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> [...]

Hmm... I just tried VirtualBox (I rarely use KVM, because mouse is so
slow and also I don't want 2 sets of VMs), and both "network copy" and
"shared folder" works.

1. Network copy:

    - set network to "Host-only".  Host is already 192.168.56.1, and VM
      will be 192.168.56.101.

    - boot into a Linux VM, and copy the real partition to virtual
      partition over the net,

	    nc -l -p 9999 > /dev/sda2	    # from VM

	    cat /dev/sda2 > /dev/tcp/192.168.56.101/9999    # from host

      Here, I think you want to use tar or something, that is, "tar"
      from host and "untar" from guest.

    - boot into Windows VM, and the virtual partition now has what
      Windows expects.  Here, I assume harddisk format doesn't change
      from VM to VM.

2. Shared folder:

    - mount the real partition in host, say /mnt/hd.

    - set "shared folder" to /mnt/hd (the name tag will be "hd").

    - boot into a Linux VM, and mount it manually under /mnt/hd,

	    mount -f vboxsf hd /mnt/hd

      so /mnt/hd under both host and guest shows the same content.

    - copy /mnt/hd directory tree to virtual partition, say /dev/sda2.

    - boot into Windows and the virtual partition now has what Windows
      expects.

You can set the "shared folder" to "auto-mount".  It shows up under
/mnt/sf_xxx in Linux VM.  I don't know where it shows up for Windows,
and probably wouldn't work for "installation", because "shared folder"
is normally for after Windows is up and running.

As long as host's /dev/sda2 content ends up in guest's /dev/sda2, I
think it's doable.

--
William