[kwlug-disc] Unique VM Installation

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Apr 8 15:28:52 EDT 2011

John Van Ostrand wrote, On 04/08/2011 1:41 PM:
> [...]

Will it run a LiveCD? Or a (persistent?) LiveCD on a usb stick?
(Coming to mind is clonezilla, here.)

Can you get the disk out, into another machine, temporarily?

Groping here, short of time, but vmware's P2V (now called converter)
may be useful here. http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/. It's
all free, for the purposes to which you're putting it. I think vb has
an equivalent, but can't recall it off the top of my head.

VirtualBox will use vmware config files, so once you've got the
machine captured and copied over to the original machine, you'd use
virtual box not vmware.

I've taken disks out in such instances, put into another machine,
loaded linux, then put back into the original machine. You might be
able to do sort of the reverse here - put the disk in another machine,
install the PE onto a second disk, remove the original disk, P2V that
2nd disk in the other machine, then copy the files and put the
original disk back into the first machine. Sounds goofy I know, but
remember, the vm is working within an artificial cpu, disk, screen,
keyboard, mouse environment, and that artificial environment is the
same within a vm no matter what physical hardware the vm is running
within. So, various bits of hardware will be detected and temporarily
used along the way, and all shed, ultimately, when it gets to, and
within, its final home.

If it's XP, you may be just fine, as I sense ms is just approving all
such activation keys these days. Not so for win 7, but seems so for xp.