[kwlug-disc] VT-d or IOMMU -- any motherboard?

Brian Nickle brian at nickle.ca
Thu Apr 7 13:40:25 EDT 2011

I'm pretty sure that my Dell GX755 has VT-d  I know it at least has some
Virtual IO settings.

Here we go the xensource site has more info:

XENsource lists the following Desktops as having VT-d:

   Dell: Optiplex

   HP Compaq: DC7800<http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF04a/12454-12454-64287-321860-3328898.html>

   Fujitsu-Siemens: Esprimo

   Lenovo: ThinkStation
   Thinkserver TS200v

Truthfully running virtual machines on a Dell Latitude D630 laptop without
VT-D and running them on a GX755 desktop with the VT-D.  I honestly haven't
seen any performance gains from the VT-d IO stuff.  I think the you will
only see a performance gain if your are running very IO intensive
applications like perhaps a database.