[kwlug-disc] RAID, mdadm and Ubuntu

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Apr 6 15:27:01 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> A 3 disk Raid 0? Instead of Raid 5, lvm, or no raid at all? Software, not
> hardware, presumably? Ah, never mind that last.

Well, so far, it's three disks and RAID0.  They're 7200rpm platters.
RAID0 striping is giving me better throughput.  My application is
IO-bound.

And yes, RAID0 rather than RAID5 and friends.  The data is
replaceable, and backed up around the globe.  So the reliability and
error recovery of RAID5 is appealing but not critical.  That said, I'm
not looking forward to a disk failure.  I'll be inconvenient.

One day, all this will be SSD.  So far, the bits/$ doesn't quite work
out to my liking.  But soon, my precious data.  Soon.