[kwlug-disc] government scandal, TPM DRM, and I spoke with an MP today.

Darryl O'Neill ldoneill at golden.net
Tue Apr 5 02:11:56 EDT 2011

There will always be scandals.  I imagine that when the Green or NDP get
in power, they will have their own.

My biggest issue withe the current government goes beyond scandal.

Stephen Harper creating a law to stop elections being called on a whim,
then breaking his own law.
The conservatives refusing to answer to parliament, the media or
Canadians about what they are doing.
The conservatives cutting the long census to stifle information.   I
asked how many people went to prison for not filling out the form.
Peter Braid would not answer.
The conservatives cutting election funding so that only the wealthy have
a voice.  I don't think that $1/person tax is killing anyone for a bit
of democracy.
Linux users are in favor of free as in speech.  Perhaps I am
overreacting.  This election seems more about democracy than scandal.

We will need to work with whoever gets in power.  I have not had much
luck talking to Peter Braid about C-32 before the election.  I don't
imagine that it will change after.

I have said too much about politics on this forum.  I will try to keep
it to linux related subjects.