[kwlug-disc] .ppsx to .pdf (oh the misery)

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Sep 26 12:43:36 EDT 2010

  On 10-09-25 06:58 PM, Johnny Ferguson wrote:
> Perhaps there should be an academic standard requiring anyone
> publishing in proprietary or unconvertible formats to additionally
> provide a PDF.

Or even to provide an open document format -- PDFs are still proprietary
data formats, and even though Adobe has published specs for the PDF
format their own software produces PDF documents that are incompatible
with that spec (feature parity, DRM).

Waterloo University has (used to have?) the WSIC, Waterloo Students for
the Information Commons

   http://wsic.uwaterloo.ca/

WSIC strives to have all academic material provided in open document
formats, and also encourages students to submit their essays,
presentations &c. in open document formats.  Perhaps you could open a
local chapter at Conestoga.

I think there is membership overlap between WSIC and KWLUG; perhaps
someone can comment more knowledgeably than I.

--Bob.