[kwlug-disc] KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux User Group new content notification: 2010-09-18 02:06

webhost at kwlug.org webhost at kwlug.org
Sat Sep 18 02:06:16 EDT 2010

Greetings mail-forum-merge,

Recent content - 1 new post

1. Recover Windows passwords, unlock accounts and more with Linux and
chntpw
Published Blog entry by Raul Suarez
[ http://kwlug.org/node/775 ]

Today, Linux saved the day... again.
My dad called me to ask me what to do when his Windows computer didn't
let him log in.
He has a single account and a blank password.
I searched the internet and found a post explaining a great little
utility that allows to reset passwords, unlock accounts, etc.
The command is chntpw
The instructions in the following link use the Linux rescue CD but you
can easily use your favourite Live CD and install the utility from the
repositories.
My dad has a dual boot computer so I've already installed the utility
for the next time he locks his account.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/change-your-forgotten-windows-password-with-the-linux-system-rescue-cd/

--
This is an automatic e-mail from KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux
User Group.